Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Photographer Spotlight :: Caryn Azure Photography

Our second photographer this week is Caryn Azure of Caryn Azure Photography. Caryn is one of my favorite artistic photographers here in Pittsburgh. I've yet to work with Caryn on a wedding, but she comes highly recommended by vendors and brides alike! Her images are one-of-a-kind and reflect such great emotion! Read below for Caryn's Q + A session with us:

1. First off, tell us a little about yourself:


I am currently living in Beaver Falls, but have not always been a PA resident. I was born in South Carolina, grew up in Michigan, went to school for a few years in Wisconsin, then lived in the Los Angeles area for a couple years before finding my way Western Pennsylvania. After taking five years off college, I went back in 2005 and graduated from Geneva (with the exception of one pesky Spanish class…) with a degree in Visual Communications.

2. How did you get started in photography?

I have always been interested in photography, but didn’t start thinking about a career in photos until 2001 when I starting working at a portrait studio. I quickly found that studio work was not for me, so after working a few other jobs, I didn’t come back to photography until I saw my friend’s wedding photos. I was amazed to find that wedding photography could be artistic, emotional, dramatic – really, anything you can imagine. Once I made the decision to give it a shot, everything took off at a dizzying pace – which I loved! Three years into the business, I’m so glad that I chose wedding photography. I feel incredibly blessed to be doing what I love!

3. Describe your wedding photography approach and style.

My goal is to capture all the emotion and excitement that exists throughout a wedding day. For the majority of the time, I do nothing to interrupt the natural flow of the day. After the wedding is over, what you have to keep is your photos, and what I want you to see is your unique and stunning wedding as it really happened. Sometime during the day – for about an hour, either all at once or spread out – I direct the wedding party during a photo shoot – which is always a lot of fun. For the photos of the bride and groom, I gravitate toward art driven, fashion inspired photos as well as shots that really show off who they are together. I love the drama of magazine work, but also love capturing the head-over-heels looks, laughs, and kisses of a couple on their wedding day.

4. What do you like best about your job?

I love how every wedding and every couple is different. Of course, I’m biased, but I think I have the best couples in the world. Their weddings – all the hundreds of details – are reflections of who they are, and I always amazed at the thoughtfulness and beauty that is in all those small things that together make up a wedding day.
I also love the freedom I have to grow as a photographer and try new things. I have the intoxicating feeling that the door is open to anything I could possibly imagine…

5. If you weren’t a photographer, what would you be?

As long as we’re speaking hypothetically, I would be a professional volleyball player or a singer/songwriter. I both play volleyball and sing/play the guitar, but I have no illusions as to how difficult it is to make a living at either of those things.

6. What is one thing you absolutely cannot live without?

Hmm... “thing” can be interpreted a lot of ways, so here’s a few: Intangible: My faith in God is the core of who I am. Tangible: My family and my boyfriend, Chris. They are all my closest friends, confidants, and encouragers. Frivolous: Hands down – chocolate.

7. If you could photograph a wedding for anyone, who would it be?

Zooey Deschanel, of She and Him, and Ben Gibbard, of Death Cab. Zooey possesses an ethereal beauty as well as an extraordinary sweetness. Ben is creative enough to be up for anything. Together, it would be magic.

Please share a few of your favorite photos that you've captured over the years:



To view more of Caryn's incredible work, head on over to her website and blog.

Thanks so much for chatting with us Caryn! Your work is absolutely breathtaking and we look forward to seeing more of your beautiful images in the future!

All images courtesy of Caryn Azure Photography.


No comments: