Friday, June 19, 2009

Makeup Artist Spotlight :: MelissaRoshan

Our next makeup artist in our spotlight series is MelissaRoshan, the owner and creative force behind Makeup By MelissaRoshan. MelissaRoshan is based out of Columbus, Ohio, but also travels to Pittsburgh for on-location makeup clients. Not only is she an amazingly talented makeup artist, she is also one of the nicest and most genuine people I have come across! We hope you enjoy her Q + A session with us below:

1. First off, tell us a little about yourself:

Greetings, my name is MelissaRoshan, and I would like to think I’m about as unique as my name (my first name is actually MelissaRoshan). I am originally from Seattle, Washington.. Fate brought my family to the East Coast seven years ago. I have been a professional model, and make-up artist for a decade now, and I feel so very blessed!

2. How did you get started in makeup artistry?

I started out managing a cosmetics counter in Seattle, Washington. I always had a love for make-up artistry, and decided quickly once I graduated from school, that it was something I wanted to pursue. After growing tired of the demands of retails sales, and realizing there was a certain level of service I wanted to give to my clients, I knew I wanted to freelance on my own.

3. What is your #1 piece of makeup advice for brides on their wedding day?

Less is definitely more. Caking foundation, mascara, and lipliner on, can look un-natural, and ultimately unflattering. The look should be a soft, enhanced version of yourself. I also recommend wearing a perfume you have never worn before. That way, everytime you wear it after your wedding date, you will always be reminded of your special day!

4. What do you like best about your job?

I love the connection I make with the bride, and her bridal party. I am often told that I am more like a girlfriend, rather than a wedding vendor. This is such a honor to hear! I try to combine professionalism, with a down to earth approach for each client.

5. If you weren't a makeup artist, what would you be?

I would definitely say an astronomer. The Universe is unbelievably beautiful, and amazing. To be able to study it’s wonders, would be amazing! I do have to say however, if I were aboard any type of space craft, I would require/demand make-up!!!!

6. What is one thing you absolutely cannot live without?

I cannot live without my Blackberry, especially during wedding season!

7. If you could work with anyone, who would it be?

Sumer Schmitt from Simply Perfect Weddings! {Aww, thanks dear! I promise I did not pay her to say that!}

Please share a few of your favorite photos from your portfolio of work:



For more information about MelissaRoshan and her makeup services, check out her website and blog.

Thanks so much for chatting with us this week! I hope to have the opportunity to work with you again very soon!

No comments: