Friday, March 12, 2010

Photographer Spotlight :: Leeann Marie Photography

Last spring I started a 'Photographer Spotlight' series that featured several of my favorite Pittsburgh-based wedding photographers, and since this is a new year, I wanted to bring this feature back to showcase several new faces to the Pittsburgh wedding photography scene. The first photographer I wanted to showcase is Leeann Golish, owner of Leeann Marie Photography. Leeann is an incredible photographer with an amazing amount of passion for what she does! I am fortunate enough to call Leeann a friend, as well as a colleague in the wedding industry. Leeann was kind enough to take a few minutes out of her busy schedule this Friday afternoon to share some information about herself, and her business. Check out her Q + A feature below:

1. First off, tell us a little about yourself:

My name is Leeann Marie and I am a Pittsburgh-based wedding photographer. Too formal? Ok. I’m Leeann. I’m married to a wonderful, goofy, and perfect-for-me man. I’ve lived in Pittsburgh my entire life and love it here. I’m a big Pittsburgh Penguins fan, but I’m also super girly. I love shopping, singing, hot yoga, champagne, sushi, Lady Gaga, and (of course) photography and my business.

2. How did you get started in photography?

I’ve been taking pictures of all of my fun adventures my entire life, but when I got engaged I started digging more into wedding photography. After my wedding, my interest grew and I knew that photography was something I wanted to learn more about. I’m pretty fearless, so at a friend’s wedding I just randomly asked the photographer “What camera are you using? What lens is that? How do I learn this?” Granted, when she answered my questions I had no idea what she was talking about, but she was also kind enough to point me to a local photographer’s conference. I attended, bought gear, and the rest is history! Lesson: It never hurts to ask!

3. Describe your wedding photography approach and style.

My photography is for the classy, chic, and modern bride. I love girls with style and fresh ideas!

My first goal when shooting is to help the women I work with feel beautiful. I believe that’s a right that us women have, and are often denied due to social norms. I bring this to every shoot and aim to provide both comfort and fun for my brides. I’m also pretty easy to get along with, so I get the guys to cooperate and have a good time too!

My approach during a wedding is casual and fun, yet totally organized and professional. I love color and light, and always work to bring out an emotional reaction from my work.

4. What do you like best about your job?

There are so many parts of my job that I love! I love the connections I have made – my wonderful couples (more like friends), wedding vendors, photographers nationwide, mothers, sisters, families… it’s amazing.

I also am a trained engineer, so being a wedding photographer allows me to be super creative but also totally nerdy. I’m really into technology, programming, and efficient methods, so both sides of my brain are pretty satisfied.

5. What keeps you motivated?

I’m by no means a procrastinator, and I’m 110% self-motivated. I want to learn, grow, and get better all the time. I want to offer the best I can, and simply knowing that keeps me motivated to do something productive every single day. My husband sometimes wonders why I “can’t just relax”, but running my own business is a dream and I want it to be the best it can be!

6. If you weren’t a photographer, what would you be?

I’m an outgoing person, so working with people suits me well. I’d love to teach – speaking and sharing with others is something that fuels me. I try to constantly give back to the photography community, which is why you see me posting helpful photographer information on my site. The ability to share the information I have gathered is really an honor.

7. What is one thing you absolutely cannot live without?

Gum. Anyone that’s known me since 8th grade can tell you that one!

8. If you could photograph a wedding for anyone, who would it be?

I think Nicole Richie’s wedding will be pretty cool, so I’d love to photograph hers. Anne Hathaway has a classic beauty that I’m sure she’d bring to her wedding. Lady Gaga’s would just be ridiculous – I’d love to see it! I bet you Taylor Swift’s wedding will be one big dreamland. I’d love that too! (Too many options!)

9. Please share a few of your favorite photos with us: 




Head on over to Leeann's website/blog to check out more of her amazing work! 

All images courtesy of Leeann Marie Photography.

No comments: